HughesNet Fusion Q&A's
Q: What is HughesNet Fusion?
A: HughesNet Fusion is highly-responsive Internet for people living beyond the reach of cable
and fiber. Combining the best of satellite and wireless technologies, HughesNet Fusion provides low-latency Internet with fast speeds and No Hard Data Caps** for everything you love to do online. With HughesNet Fusion, you can stream and use time-sensitive applications to play games and work from home with a VPN.
Q: Where is HughesNet Fusion available?
A: HughesNet Fusion is currently available in select areas in the Northeast, where appropriate wireless service is available. Call now to see if this exciting new service is available where you live.
Q: Who installs HughesNet Fusion?
A: Your system will be installed by a HughesNet certified professional installer.
Q: What is latency?
A: With the added wireless technology in HughesNet Fusion service, you can now enjoy low- latency performance for a quick and smooth Internet experience. Latency refers to the amount of time it takes a packet of data to travel across a network. With satellite service, that data must travel up to the satellite and back (about 45,000 miles). This round trip adds about a half- second delay to the total time your computer takes to communicate with a Website or host server.
Q: I am a HughesNet subscriber. Can I upgrade to the HughesNet Fusion service?
A: No, not at this time.
Q: Can I change my HughesNet Fusion service plan to another HughesNet plan?
A: No, not at this time.
Q: Can I move my system from one location to another?
A: No, not at this time. Contact Customer Care at 866-347-3292.
Q: Is HughesNet Voice service available with HughesNet Fusion?
A: HughesNet Voice is available at the time of order and can be installed with your Fusion system. Contact Customer Care at 866-347-3292 to add Voice at any time. Self-installation of HughesNet Voice is not available to Fusion customers.
Q: Does this service include cellular phone service?
A: HughesNet Fusion does not include cellular phone service. HughesNet Fusion provides a primary home Internet connection through a combination of satellite and wireless technologies.
Q: Do I need a separate wireless plan to use HughesNet Fusion?
A: No, a sim card is included with the Equipment Lease Fee. A contract with an outside wireless carrier is not required.
Q: Can I purchase an expedited maintenance plan with my HughesNet Fusion service?
A: No, not at this time.
Q: Can I purchase Static IP with my HughesNet Fusion service?
A: No, static IP is not available for purchase with this service.
Q: Does my Fusion service include the Bonus Zone?
A: No, HughesNet Fusion does not include the Bonus Zone.
Q: What is the difference between HughesNet Fusion and HughesNet Gen5?
A: HughesNet Fusion is best for anyone beyond the reach of cable and fiber who wants highly- responsive Internet, particularly for time-sensitive applications like gaming and VPNs. The combined technologies of satellite and wireless provide a low-latency Internet experience. Enjoy the benefits of satellite Internet with the added responsiveness of wireless technology for a quick and smooth Internet experience.
Q: Is there a data cap with HughesNet Fusion?
A: There are No Hard Data Caps** with HughesNet Fusion. If you exceed 100 GB of data per month, you will experience slower speeds, typically 1-2 Mbps until the next monthly billing cycle.
Q: How can I view my data usage?
A: You can view your data usage over time through the HughesNet Mobile App or on myHughesNet.com.
Q: How fast is HughesNet Fusion?
A: The HughesNet Fusion plan offers download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps.*
Q: Can I play real-time video games?
A: Yes. The combination of satellite and wireless technologies provides a highly-responsive Internet experience for games that require real-time connection.
Q: Can I connect to a VPN?
A: Yes. A Virtual Private Network (VPN) can be used on HughesNet Fusion.
Q: Can the certified HughesNet technician hook up my home network?
A: Your technician will connect two devices to your modem’s LAN or Wi-Fi during your installation appointment. However, you can ask your technician to connect additional devices for an additional cost.
Register your account using your SAN on myHughesNet.com or download the HughesNet Mobile App available for iOS and Android to view your data usage, get answers to common questions, pay your bill and more!
Please complete our customer survey to ensure quality installations in the future. If at any time, you are not satisfied with the installation please stop technician and share your concern.
Q: What does the installation process look like?
Prior to the technician arriving at your home, think about where you would like your modem to be, and have the closest power outlet accessible. Keep in mind that it is best to keep the modem on the main level and in a location with good airflow, at least six inches away from the wall.
Also, ensure that someone 18 years or older will be present for the duration of the installation. The installation generally takes between two and four hours.
What to expect at your appointment:
Work with your technician to find the best outdoor dish location. There are several factors to consider, including:
- A long-term line of sight to the southern sky, clear from obstructions. Keep in mind your roof may be the best location, as it is usually the highest point on a property and able to retain signal over tree growth.
- Installation limitations
- The construction of your house may pose some installation challenges, such as roofing material, roof pitch, or electrical configuration (just to name a few). The technician will explain mounting and location options based on your unique home. The ideal location may be close to the grounding point or where the cable enters the house.
- The technician will install your satellite dish outside your home and run a cable inside your home directly to your modem. For HughesNet Fusion customers, the technician will confirm adequate wireless signal before proceeding with the satellite portion of the install. If you ordered HughesNet Voice, have your telephone and cable available.
- After installation, you need to activate your HughesNet services.
Q: What is included with a professional standard installation?
- The HughesNet professional technician will install the HughesNet modem (with power supply) and will connect two devices to your modem’s LAN or Wi-Fi during your installation appointment. You can ask your technician to connect additional devices for an additional cost. Any non-standard installation extras will be billed on your next HughesNet invoice. The technicians do not accept cash or check at the time of install. For HughesNet Fusion customers, the technician will confirm adequate wireless signal before proceeding with the satellite portion of the install.
- A HughesNet satellite antenna (dish), radio, and mount will be installed outside on your roof, deck, or an exterior wall. For homes with vinyl siding, metal siding, or metal or tile roofs, the technician may recommend a pole mount. Customers can request a pole mounted dish installation as opposed to a roof mounted installation when the technician arrives. Keep in mind a roof mounted installation may provide the best long-term line of sight for optimal performance. If being installed to an outer wall or roof, the equipment needs to be accessible with a 25-foot ladder for quick and easy servicing should it ever be required.
- Up to 125 feet of RG-6 cable will be run from the antenna outside to the modem inside through a drilled hole through the exterior wall to an adjacent interior wall. It will be terminated on the inside wall with a faceplate. If a pole mount is installed, up to 25 feet of trenching is included.
- A grounding block is provided and the entire system is grounded to an NEC-approved bonding point.
- All outdoor penetrations and water-resistant compression fittings are thoroughly weather- sealed.
Q: What non-standard installation items are not covered?
A: Customers sometimes want to enhance or customize their installation to specific requirements. Some of the more common enhancements are mentioned below. While they are not included in a HughesNet standard installation, these enhancements may incur charges that will be added to your next HughesNet invoice. All costs for non-standard work or equipment will be itemized by the independent HughesNet technician on the HughesNet Installation Reference Sheet and require your authorization signature before proceeding. Technicians do not accept cash or check at the time of install. These non-standard installation items include major customization on your HughesNet system that would require the technician to:
- Spend excessive time onsite to meet customer-directed requirements.
- Purchase special materials, molding, conduit, or cosmetic hardware to hide exposed cables.
- Remove, repair, or build structures to hide or support the HughesNet System.
- Additional cable beyond 125-feet or additional trenching beyond 25-feet.
- Special transportation required to travel to your home (e.g. ferry).
Q: How quickly will I be up and running?
A: On average, most customers are installed within 5 days of their order. Installation times may be longer due to the surge of demand for this service. Most customers have the opportunity to schedule an installation date at time of order. However, if a preferred date is not available, a HughesNet installer will typically contact you within 24 hours of placing your order to work out a mutually agreeable date and time for your installation. If less than 2 weeks is too soon for you, just place your order when you’re ready!
Q: How can I order HughesNet Fusion?
A: Call us today to see if HughesNet Fusion is available in your area.
Q: Whom do I contact to check the status of my order?
A: Visit orderstatus.HughesNet.com or call Pre-installation Support at 1-866-774-6580.
Q: What does my equipment and billing look like if I already have DIRECTV/DISH?
A: HughesNet Fusion requires a unique dish in order to send and receive information via satellite. You cannot use your DIRECTV or DISH Network dish for HughesNet Fusion. You will receive a separate bill for each service.
Q: How do I know if the service will work where I live?
A: Your home will need a clear view of the southern key and the modem must be able to receive an appropriate wireless signal.
Q: Will I receive a HughesNet email account when I register my account on myHughesNet.com or the HughesNet Mobile App?
A: No, HughesNet email is not available at this time.
Q: Can I benefit from Data Tokens?
A: No, Data Tokens are not available with HughesNet Fusion.
** If you exceed 100 GB of monthly data usage, you will experience slower speeds, typically 1-2 Mbps until the next monthly billing cycle.